Little League joins bed maker in request to move trial | News, Sports, Jobs
Little League Baseball has joined a bunk bed manufacturer in asking a judge to dismiss a lawsuit over a Utah Little League player suffering serious head injuries when he fell from the top bunk of a dormitory during the Little League World Series in August.
The sports organization has joined John Savoy and Son Inc. of Montoursville, the maker of the bunk bed, in moving the case from Philadelphia to Lycoming County if it is not dismissed, according to PennLive.com.
The complaint was filed by the parents of 12-year-old Easton Oliverson, who fell out of bed on August 15. The parents claim it was negligence on the part of Little League and that Savoy made a faulty bed.
The trial is in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Little League’s response says the court complaint contains broad and overt allegations of negligence that do not plead the facts to adequately describe specific acts or omissions, according to the outlet.
Without more specific allegations, Little League says it will be harmed in its ability to mount a defense. Little League’s position is that if the lawsuit is not dismissed, the Oliversons should be ordered to re-litigate their allegations with more specific facts, PennLive reported.
Both defendants argue that the negligent infliction of the emotional distress claim by the father, Jace, added as an individual defendant in an amended complaint, is legally insufficient and must be dismissed.
Adam Savoy, the company’s vice president, previously said the company recommends the use of guardrails and ladders for safety when beds are bunk or raised.
Two warning labels are affixed to each bed recommending the use of guardrails and ladders for any bunk or raised bed, he said.
The lawsuit seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages in excess of $50,000, Pennlive said.